Monday, July 23, 2012

A Honeybee-themed Baptismal Party

There was at least a month's time of planning for the twins' Baptism which we have long decided will be held at Bacolod. Ever since I knew I was pregnant, my mind flew to the first party they're gonna have, which is of course their christening. I initially thought of Pixie Hollow faeries as the theme (I loved watching Tinkerbell). But then again, a limited time and planning by long distance discouraged me to push through with such an intricate theme. (perhaps, on their birthday?)

So, remembering the bee-themed baby clothes given by my counterparts from Geneva gave me inspiration.

bee-themed outfits (more like bug-themed as I come to realize)
Thanks to Pinterest, I was also able to gather cool ideas which would make the bee-themed party actually come true.


First, I wanted their names in big bold letters which would stand out at the party. I decided to use honeybee fonts. I downloaded the fonts from the internet, printed them on cardboard, pasted them on styrofoam sheets and cut them out. I used balloon sticks as stands. The cake was also an inspiration from Pinterest. My go-to bakery for themed cakes in Bacolod is Baker's. This is also where we ordered our wedding cake. Going back, the cake design was like a yellow honey-combed dotted with white flowers and honeybees.


I also asked my brother to order 50 pieces of chiffon cupcakes worth Php300. These are topped with yellow icing with black swirls.


For the centerpiece, I initially thought of making pompoms. However, the thought that this was too tedious, again, discouraged me. So plan B would be to order small bouquets of flowers from, guess where?...public Plaza. For Php30 a piece, it's a good deal. I then added honeybees made of styro balls which I painted black and yellow then added wings. These are attached to a thin wire that was twirled and inserted in the middle of the bouquet. It gives an illusion that a bee is flying over the flowers.


For an added personal touch, I gathered pictures of the twins and made baby facts about them. My good friend, BarBar helped a lot by designing these pictures. I placed these with the cake and a few, on some of the centerpieces.



The reception was held at Eloisa Q which was owned by Mrs. Eloisa Querubin, my friend Qbie's mother. I know that Qbie is a great cook so its quite obvious that his mom is superb in the kitchen as well. We did not regret getting Eloisa Q for our reception since almost all the guests were very satisfied with the food. It was also a great thing that she used peach-colored table cloths and napkins since these highlighted the yellow theme I had going.

The menu for a Php300 per head event was: Baby Back Ribs, Beef in Marsala Wine, Chicken Relleno, Crabs wrapped in Pandan Leaves, Plain Rice, Macaroni Soup Salad then a Salad Bar. A round of drinks is also included.

In a nutshell, I must say it was fun planning their baptism. It isn't as detailed as a birthday party, I suppose, but I guess squeezing in some DIYs in between work, taking care of the two and planning it all the way from Cebu was quite challenging. I had to let go of some ideas for practicality, but still, I guess the whole thing didn't turn out bad after all.

A Buzzzzy Baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment